Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Great Question For A Nurse Practitioner

"Hi There -

Just stumbled on your site. I have one question, as I'm trying to decide if pursuing family practitioning is for me. How did you know you wanted to be a practitioner?

A little background - I am a recent grad of a direct-entry MSN program, so I already hold a general MSN. I got my RN license over the summer and have been working on an oncology floor. I love being a nurse. I hate floor nursing. I knew I would, but I value the experience I am getting, despite its many frustrations. Before pursuing my 2nd degree, I worked in management positions in a variety of unique settings, and I'm used to being in the driver's position, so to speak. I'm a critical thinker and a natural leader (whether others like it or not! ). I see connections quickly and I like to get things done. In addition, I am vastly interested in a more holistic approach to nursing than floor nursing seems to offer. And I feel somewhat stifled in my current position - a feeling I know will only intensify as time goes on. My interests are pain management, end-of-life care, family dynamic, and anything that is involved with helping educate and empower the underprivileged. That is so much wordier than I intended, and yet such a nutshell of my passions!

I am knee deep in student loans from my first two degrees, and this makes me nervous about taking out more. But at the same time, I'm so knee deep that an investment in my earning potential may not be altogether worthless on my part.

I am on the edge of applying to programs, and would love any insight you have into family practitioning and how you knew it was for you.


I thought that this was such a great question that I had to post about it. I knew when I went into the nursing program as a RN that I would eventually come out as a nurse practitioner. I always wanted to have the power to completely take care of patients myself. I also like to be in the driver's seat and that goal oriented personality is helpful when making health care decisions.Patients pick up on whether you are confident or not and they also pick up on false bravado so it's a fine line. I tossed around the idea of actually becoming a doctor but knew that it was not feasible both in time and money so I started as a nurse. I will be going back for the DNP but not anytime soon! I need to recover first!

Yes, the loans are crazy! I also have years to pay them back and I am using my adsense ads and Amazon store to help with that endeavor. I am now working in a rural setting and am applying for Federal loan forgiveness programs as we speak.

If you are thinking about becoming a NP, I have found that Family is the way to go in order to be more marketable. You can always specialize later. Please do not stay stifled in a position that you are not happy in. Patients also suffer along with our families. The awesome thing about nursing is the versatility of it.

I hope this helped you and good luck in your endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers