Monday, May 27, 2013

Turn Us Loose And Let Us Fly

Nurse practitioners can practice independently in 17 states. Slowly, over time, things will change. Many doctors will comment saying that "if you wanted to practice medicine, you should have gone to medical school". Well, I went to nursing school and it involved a terminal degree of NP at the time and I can diagnose, treat, and manage MY patients without a MD behind my name just fine.

Most doctors are used to working with us on an equal footing, especially in rural settings. The company that I work for treat us all the same. It's been over a year since they have been recruiting another family doc with no success. Most of the reasoning is the fact that we are such a small town. It doesn't even have a traffic light.

My patients don't care and most have never seen the MD collaborator that I have for any reason anyway. The only reason I need one in the office is to sign home health orders and controls. If I need a second opinion, I ask fellow MDs in our practice,  just like other MDs would do in private practice when they work alone. The biggest fear that is quoted is "we don't know what we don't know" as an excuse for keeping us from full practice. I also argue the same for doctors. I wouldn't trust any health care provider who doesn't understand when to ask for help.

Just turn us loose and let us fly or fall as we may. Patients just need SOMEONE to help.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:23 PM

    Well said!

    I live in California and the CANP are actively working to make NP's practice independently here. At first I was reluctant (might have something to do with the fact that I just graduated from NP school and I really enjoyed relying on my preceptors for guidance). However, I know in the long run, every NP deserves to practice independently. As long as we set our ego aside and ask for help when we need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, so goes California so goes the rest of the country

      Delete

Disclaimer

Followers