Friday, February 29, 2008

At Your Cervix Ladies!

You've all heard of speed dating where you have just so much time to meet and greet someone and then you're off to another within a very short period of time?
I just completed my very first version of the speed Pap the other day. Our company offers a service to the women in the community of a $5.00 pap smear once every 3-4 months. Any woman qualifies on a first come, first serve basis. The cost covers the exam and the testing. The women don't have to be official patients.

The process is fast with just a cervical or vaginal sample taken and not much conversation. "Nice to meet you! May I see your cervix please? The test results will come to you in the mail in 1-2 weeks." and off to the next one.

I have to admit that it was strange for me because I'm used to taking my time and palpating everything and getting to know the patients. I did 17 in the first hour! It ran from 1-4 and I did a total of 26 paps. Once I got into the groove, it was actually fun! The women all understood that it would be a VERY limited exam and that we are just looking for abnormal vaginal or cervical cells during this visit.

Some of these women had not had a Pap in 10 + years. I only hope that everything comes back okay on the results. I'm really glad that I am able to provide the service to many underserved women in my community.

So, I was at your cervix ladies and I hope that I was of service to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers