Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Nurse Practitioners Listen To Their Patients

I've been very busy in the new office. One of the things that I'm hearing from my patients about various doctors is the complaint that they often feel rushed during their visits. This is nothing new because I heard it on a daily basis at the hospital as well.
I've been told recently that I needed to speed up during my visits with the patients at the office. While I understand the need to maintain productivity, I also have found that patient satisfaction is a little more important right now. Cases in point....

If a patient comes into the office complaining about various areas of numbness and weakness in upper and lower body I would check lab work which may or not be normal and ran the scenario by the doctor. These symptoms could be mistaken for a psychosomatic illness but I would decide to do an MRI anyway because my intuition would bother me. While it may be "all in the patient's head", it may be a brain tumor or multiple sclerosis.

Similar scenario..Pt complains of numbness and tingling in one arm. Pinched nerve versus brain tumor?

If I don't take the time to listen to the patients thoroughly, without rushing them, I could miss diagnoses.

I'm glad that I didn't..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers