Monday, November 14, 2005

Please Buckle Up Your Kids!

I swear to God if I see one more kid out of a seatbelt, I'm going to go vigilante on somebody! I see it every day when I pick up my son from school. Kids hanging out of windows, kids riding in the back of pickup trucks, (yeehaw!) and basically jumping around in the car. It just drives me absolutely, frigging batty!!!!!!!
Once when I was pregnant with my youngest, I was sitting in my car waiting for my husband to come out of a store when this chick pulled up in a Trans Am with two kids sitting in the front passenger seat. One was about 4 years old and the other was under a year old. I said pleasantly of course, "where's the car seats?" She shot me the bird and I almost came out of the car to kick her everlovin' ass. Ooppss, I remembered I was pregnant. Damn!

"Did you know...

During 2003, 8,089 passenger vehicle occupants under 15 years old were involved in fatal crashes. For those children, where restraint use was known, 30 percent were unrestrained; among those who were fatally injured, 53 percent were unrestrained. (NHTSA, 2004)


In 2003, 21 percent of the children under 15 years old who were killed in motor vehicle crashes were killed in alcohol-related crashes. (NHTSA, 2004)


Of the children 0-14 years old who were killed in alcohol-related crashes during 2003, 47 percent (209) were passengers in vehicles with drivers who had been drinking. (NHTSA, 2004)


It is estimated that 446 children under age 5 were saved as a result of child restraint use in 2003. An estimated 7,020 lives were saved by child restraints from 1975-2003. (NHTSA, 2004)


Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for children from two to 14 years of age. (NHTSA, 2003) "

Please buckle up your children if you love them! I don't want to read in the obituaries about the fatalities. Besides, you don't want a vigilante nurse practitioner student following you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers