I was checking out my sitemeter and usually research what brings people to my site. One of the most common entries is "Are you happy being a NP?"
Well...let me think about it for a minute...Sure am!! I love my job! I can't say enough about it. It is one of the greatest things that has EVER happened to me. Here's the top reasons why I love being a NP.
- I can actually make patients better! I have the ability to interview patients and get to the root of their health problems and show them ways to feel like they have some control over their lives.
- Patients trust me with their lives. What an awesome and humbling responsibility.
- I love the way the kids smile when they see me on each visit, even if I have to be “mean to them” when they are really sick. This usually entails that really terrible stick that I have to get into their mouths to visualize their tonsils while in a headlock. YUCK!
- The nice letters that my bosses sometime receive when my patients write in to say what a great job we do for them. Pat! Pat! Many thanks to you for those unsolicited notes!
- I very seldom have to work on the weekends. I only work rotating half day Saturdays with the other providers in the practice. Not too bad.
- I’m home by 6pm every night. This means that I actually get to see my kids while they are awake. Nice!
What are some of the reasons that you like being what you are?