Thursday, October 18, 2007

Nurse Practitioner Job Interview Process

I have been to two different nurse practitioner interviews in the last week and am waiting to hear the results. One practice is approximately 40 minutes from my house and deals with mostly preventative care. They don't take Medicare or Medicaid and usually only see patients from children to 60 years or so. They don't boot you out if you are already in the practice and reach that age. That could smack of Logan's Run! I'm dating myself. ARGH!
The second practice is a rural health clinic and takes Medicare and Medicaid. It is about 30 minutes from my house in the other direction. The staff seems nice and it's advantage is that I could qualify for Federal Loan Repayment if I agree to work in that environment for 2 years but the application isn't ready until the Fall for the next year. So really, I would have to work there for almost three years.

The big problem during both interviews is ALWAYS the dreaded question, "So, why did you leave your other employer?" Immediate embarrassment, even if it's not really your fault. I haven't parted ways with anyone unless I chose to leave for the last 20 years!
What do you say?
Here's the pat answer. We decided to part ways mutually. We remain friends to this day. I have a nice reference letter to show you.
What you really want to say, "Actually, he fired me out of the blue with some bullshit excuses blah, blah, blah.

But one must always be the consummate professional and try to maintain some semblance of composure and remember that you really do know what you're doing and that someone will realize your potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers