Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Nurse Practitioner Spending Time With Patients

While looking at my sitemeter, I found that the title of this entry was one of the things that was googled bringing a reader here. I thought that it would make for a good topic. I am given 15 minutes for follow up visits and 30 minutes for new patients. I have been taking a little longer for each patient because I am having to learn all about them as a "new face" in the office. For the most part, it's been going pretty well.

I do have one complaint about my medical assistant. Maybe it's not really her fault because it appears to be the norm in this office. The office opens at 08:30 with my first appt set for that time. By the time that the charts are ready, the 08:30, 08:45 and the 09:00 patients are still waiting to be called back. I REALLY don't like to be three patients behind first thing in the morning!

The two things that patients complain about the most is the fact that they wait FOREVER to be seen and that medical professionals don't take the time to listen to them. They feel rushed. Well let me tell you this. I will NOT rush my patients. I play it by ear and some patients can be finished in less than the 15 minute slot so I make the time up in the end. Another thing I don't rush is Paps. You just don't want to miss something plus I always want to make it as comfortable as possible.

I'm now seeing on average 22 patients a day.. WHEW! And having a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Followers